Posted by: Jolene | 2011/11/22

Breathing Problems

I was born with a flattend nose and since I can remember I always feel that I cannot breath properly through my nose and therefore always feel short of breath. My mother was told that I should wait until I was 16 to have it corrected, but she never did.

The one side of my nasal passage always feels blocked and when I get a cold it gets worse. I would proberbly would have to have a nasal reconstruction, which would include plastic surgery, but I am usure if the medical aid would pay for it. Can you please assist.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Jolene

Any functional work to the nose done by an ENT surgeon, will be covered by a medical aid, providing your plan allows for this. It is a functional procedure, not a cosmetic one, as the aim is to allow for better breathing. I suggest you start by seeing an ENT, and discuss what may be required. This can only be done after an examination. You may require some form of cosmetic work, best performed by a plastic surgeon, or an ENT with a special interest in Facial Plasic work. Sometimes these procedures may be performend under the same general anaesthetic.
Discuss this with your doctors.


The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.