Question
Posted by: Karien | 2005/07/26

breathing difficulty while sleeping

Dear Cyber Doc
My mother, 68, has recently started experiencing difficulty breathing while sleeping. She often (currently about twice a week) wakes up at night, unable to move, and feeling as if there is a heavy weight pressing on her chest. She then tells herself mentally that she must start breathing again, but is unable to move any part of her body. She obviously feels quite scared of this situation, and does not want to go to bed at night anymore for fear of not waking up again!
Please help?
Karien

Karien, does your mother have any problems/is she taking any medication? Is she overweight? Is she able to lie down flat on her back or does she have prop herself up on three or more pillows? Let me know as a new question and we’ll take it from there. Good luck.