Question
Posted by: Tessa | 2005/12/13

Breastfeeding while on Warfarin??

I am now 6 months pregnant and on Fragmin, after the baby is born I will go on Warfarin for about 6 weeks, will it be possible for me to breastfeed?

Warfarin is not detectable in the breast milk of mothers who take warfarin . It is therefore safe to take in the breast-feeding woman. Since only a limited number of women on warfarin have been studied, these data can not exclude occasional passage of small amounts of warfarin into breast milk, but such doses are unlikely to cause bleeding in the newborn.

1
Posted by: Purple | 2005/12/13

The best person to speak to is your pharmacist as s/he will know how much will get into the breast milk and what the side effects would be on your baby.

Also, contact an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant, they can give you a lot of assistance if you need to keep up milk production but not feed, or if you will not be allowed to feed, then then you can use something like an SNS to give baby formula but baby will think its breastfeeding, as breastfeeding is not just about the milk, there are lots of other benefits for you and your baby as well, from the actual feeding process.

Reply to Purple