Question
Posted by: R | 2004/10/19

breastfeeding second time around

Does breastfeeding get better the second time around? I remember with my first one it was hell for the first month. I had cracked bleeding nipples and neaded some laser treatment. It went better after that I looked forward to breastfeeding my baby. I went to breast feeding consultants since birth and I must say I would be able to do it without their assistance and encouragement. I just hope this time it wil be better, it was really horrible.

R

Hope it is going to be better too but there are no guarantees

2
Posted by: Purple | 2004/10/20

A lactation consultant will certainly be of assistance second time around as well.

Remember that cracked nipples is from a latching problem, so if your baby latches properly, then you won't get cracked nipples (my nipples didn't crack at all). The sucking reflex is strongest in the first hour after birth, so ask in your birth plan that your baby is put on your abdomen immediately after birth so that s/he can suckle immediately.

Also, as you've done it before, you know what you're doing better than the first time, so I'm sure it must be easier.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: P | 2004/10/19

Why don't you contact the Sister Lillian Centre in PTA. 012 8040909. They specialize in all sorts of Mother & Baby care...
Good Luck
P

Reply to P