Question
Posted by: Bedonered | 2006/04/20

Breastfeeding in public

Subject for today is "breastfeeding in public". There is actually a woman sitting up on stage who is revolted by women breastfeeding in public.

I truely hope that one day breastfeedign in public will become commonplace. Not necessarily meaning that the woman will be totally inconsiderate to those people who think its vile, but by being sensitive and discreet.

I personally find excusing yourself from the table to go and sit in a restaurant toilet to feed your child vile.

I am actually very interested to know what it is that would trigger such a negative reaction to something I find very beautiful and natural. If anyone wishes to share, Id love to hear from you.

Isn't the primary question one of proportion, good manners, discretion and good taste ? Breastfeeding is a natural thing, but a private one, not to be flaunted in public. Yet expecting a woman to do so in a toilet stall, is insensitive and unfair ( though I wonder why a young mother would take a child young enough to need breast-feeding, to a restaurant ; and why she couldn't feed him before entering the restaurant ? )

8
Posted by: P.S. | 2006/04/20

Forgot to add..breastfeeding is so beneficial to babies it I think it should be encouraged and perhaps public perception has to be changed a bit.

Reply to P.S.
Posted by: Questions to moms | 2006/04/20

After reading what CS had to say I was pretty curious as to how often babies need feeding. Im guessing that its normally at fixed times although not sure because I have never had any.

I know a few friends of mine have breast fed exclusively for the first 6 months and some even up to 24 months (not exclusively though).

I think the restaurant setting was used as one example of public feeding because you cant exactly walk around a shopping mall holding your baby to your breast.

I certainly wouldnt expect a mother to rush back home every few hours to breastfeed for half the year while they are doing so exclusively. Its just plain rediculous. And to turn down a lunch or dinner invitation because its during baba's feeding time..

My mom has always said that a baby should fit in with your lifestyle and not the other way round. She was a very relaxed mother and that rubbed off on both my brother and myself.

I wouldnt object to seeing a woman breastfeeding even if she did not cover her baby's head with a blanket. Its not like they remove their tops or even expose their nipples to do so, you see way more on a beach anyway.

Done discreetly for those who dont see it the way I do, it should be a non issue.

Reply to Questions to moms
Posted by: slr | 2006/04/20

I don't mind public breastfeeding. When I see a mom breastfeeding, I get all soft and broody....it's beautiful.

Reply to slr
Posted by: Blue | 2006/04/20

I agree 100% with Me, Im also interested to know how the guys feel about this one. CS? :)

Good for you SP!

Reply to Blue
Posted by: SP™ | 2006/04/20

i did it in public and could not care less what people thought, my concern was that my baby needs to be fed now. am not gonna excuse myself at a table and go and sit in a cold feeding room.

Reply to SP™
Posted by: Tango | 2006/04/20

Discreet breastfeeding anywhere is perfectly fine for me.

Reply to Tango
Posted by: Me | 2006/04/20

I personally dont see any problem with women who breastfeed in public, especially if its done in a respectable and decent way. any self respecting woman would not intentionally flaunt their "whipped tit" around for everyone to see. breastfeeding is a natural process which produces healthy strong beautiful kids.

and what about the kids whose mothers are poor and cannot afford the expensive formulas? should they be punished because others see breastfeeding in public as vile.
and if it was vile, God wouldnt have created it.

Reply to Me
Posted by: Kate | 2006/04/20

I got no problem with women who tastefully put a blanket over themselves and do it, but I dont want to sit on a train or at a restaurant next to some women who has whipped her tit out for the whole world to see.

Reply to Kate