Question
Posted by: Sharl | 2004/11/17

Breastfeeding draining me

My baby is 3 months old and still breastfeeding - I do not know what to do anymore as I do not have any energy in me. I go to bed at 8 and wake up exhausted - i have no energy and would like to know what i could take to give me energy - and at the same time not affect my milk - baby having more energy - please help

Try taking iron and vitamin tablets.

4
Posted by: Purple | 2004/11/18

Shlehen Elixir is very sugary, so if you are prone to thrush, then it might give you and baby thrush.

Nuffing is right, after 3 months, breast feeding becomes so easy. The cluster feeding in the evenings stops so you spend less time with baby constantly on your boob! Some babies also start to go more than 2 or 3 hours between feeds, and they drop another night feed as well.

Well done!! I'm sure you'll feel better soon. A lack of iron can make you feel dreadful. I'm still on Autrin, as I lost a tremendous amount of blood at the birth.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: Rene | 2004/11/18

I agree with Nuffing. I used Schelin BlackThorn Elixer and it really helped. It tastes nice as well.

Good luck.
Rene

Reply to Rene
Posted by: Nuffing | 2004/11/18

You can try Schelin BlackThorn Elixer, from health shops and chemists.

Make sure you eat and drink enough, and more importantly are you getting enough actual sleep?

This should ease up, as the 3 month mark is probably the hardest. Hang in there, and well done for persevering with breatfeeding. It will get easier...

Reply to Nuffing
Posted by: Purple | 2004/11/18

Urgently speak with a lactation consultant - an expert in human breast feeding.

She can advise you on this.

Try to sleep when baby sleeps during the day if possible. Breast feeding does make you a little sleepy while you feed in the early days, but your exhaustion is more probably from the constant running around and lack of sleep.

I'm still breast feeding my baby at 9 months, and yes I'm tired, but I'm sure its from the sleepless nights more than the breast feeding.

Ensure that you eat healthily to keep your energy levels up. You don't need to exclude any foods from your diet when breast feeding, so plenty of fresh fruit and veg etc. An energy tonic such as vita thion taken once in the morning should be fine and that amount shouldn't affect your baby (try drinking it straight after a feed though), and check with a lactation consultant if this will be ok to take.

Well done for breast feeding.

If you are planning on weaning though, then still speak to a lactation consultant, she can advise you on ways of doing this with the least trauma for you and baby.

Reply to Purple