Question
Posted by: Charlie | 2004/10/17

Breastfeeding an adopted child

Would like to know about medication to take to enable breastfeeding an adopted child

Difficult. If you have breast fed before stimulation of the nipples continously may help otherwise see a doctor for advice

4
Posted by: Kate | 2004/10/18

I just wanted to add that although it is great for some moms to breastfeed I really don't think you ought to be worried about bond/not bonding with your baby.

I have bonded wonderfully with my son and when I feed him his bottle I hold him close to me and we gaze into each other's eyes as if we would if I was breastfeeding. Feeding your baby with a bottle can be a wonderful and rewarding experience (not to mention easier) too so don't feel pressurised in any way to breastfeed if you are worried about bonding. Bonding happens without breastfeeding, in my case it was about love and nuturing that brought the close bond between us.

Good luck!

Reply to Kate
Posted by: Athenea | 2004/10/18

I adopted a baby girl. My gynae put me on the generic Eglynol (hope the spelling is right) and it took about 2 weeks to take effect. I also had accupuncture and took Chinese Herb tablets. I was also told to drink Lactagogue Tea which you can get from Dischem which really works. I also saw a Lactation expert who helped with latching techniques.
My milk supply was not fantastic but my Angel nursed for 6 weeks before refusing the breast for the bottle (simply because she realised the milk supply was quicker and less tiring. In that time we developed the most fantastic bond and I can see today that it made a huge difference. Unfortunately I only found out about the SNS device afterwards, but have heard that it can have fantastic results.
If you want to breastfeed, and are willing to make the effort, IT IS SO WORTH IT!!! Your baby will reap the wonderful rewards.

Reply to Athenea
Posted by: Kate | 2004/10/18

I adopted a baby boy and so many people told me that I should have tried to breastfeed him. I didn't want to breastfeed so I didn't pay much attention but a lady did tell me that Tina Otte's breatfeeding lady, Brenda helps adoptive mothers to breastfeed.

Tina's number is 082 8551493. Ask her to refer you to Brenda.

Take care and good luck!

Reply to Kate
Posted by: Purple | 2004/10/18

A Board Certified Lactation Consultant can assist you. They are experts in human breast feeding.

There is a device called an SNS which will allow your baby to suckle and get formula while stimulating your nipples.

You will find lactation consultants listed in the directories of pegnancy magazines and baby mags.

Also, phone Tina Otte's family and child centre and ask for the number of a lactation consultant. To look her up, phone enquiries, she is based in Jack street, Jacanlee in Randburg.

Reply to Purple