Posted by: LC | 2008/09/29

I just want to know if I can use apple cider tablets while breastfeeding my 13 month baby. The box said I must consult a doctor or helath care professional before using. I just want something to reduce my cravings and enhance metabolism. I lost all my pregnancy weight before my baby were 2 months old but now I am still breastfeeding but I crave everything I eat what I can get hold of and I am always hungry. What can I do. I were never this fat. Help please.

Dear LC
Congratulations on the birth of your baby and the fact that you are breastfeeding - that is the very best thing you can do for your child. It is advisable NOT to use any medications, herbal or otherwise, or over-the-counter slimming products when you are breastfeeding because the compounds in these products can pass into the breast milk and have negative effects on your baby. Apple cider on its own will not have an effect because it is just vinegar after all (it will also not help with slimming), but the apple cider tablets contain other herbal extracts that can affect the baby. You say you have lost all your pregnancy weight? Do you then still need to lose more weight? if not, make sure that you are eating sufficient food to provide for you and baby. It is possible that your energy intake is not adequate for both your needs and that is why you are so hungry. Try eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), but add 2 extra cups of fat-free milk or yoghurt to the prescribed intake to ensure that you ingest enough calcium for you and baby. Rather do daily exercise (take baby for a brisk walk in the pram) for 30 or more minutes a day than to take products that can potentially harm your child.