Question
Posted by: Tonia | 2004/10/25

breastfeeding

I am pregnant with my second child. With the first, breastfeeding was terrible and traumatic for both myself and the baby - I have inverted nipples, and though I had enough milk, he battled for every single drop. It hurt like hell, and feeding time usually ended with tears and frustration (and supplemental bottle milk). With all the talk of breastfeeding leading to a stronger bond between mother and baby, I don't think this was a positive experience for either of us. I would really prefer to put my second baby on the bottle from his/her first feed. Just the thought of breastfeeding gives me the shivers! Should I take any medication to stop milk production? Should it be done before or after the baby is born?

If you have decided not to breastfeed, you can use medication to dry up the milk. This should only be taken after delivery.

2
Posted by: Rene | 2004/10/25

Breastfeeding was very traumatic for the first month. I also have inverted nipples. They were cracked and bled and it hurt like hell. Everytime I had to feed I would just want ot die. I had to go for laser treatment as well. I visited the breastfeeding consultant at least twice a week for the first month. They were a great help and would not have coped with their assistance. Feeding got much better after that and I looked forward to breastfeed. I breastfed for 7 months.

I just hope this time it will be better. I will try to relax and no that there is help out there.

Rene

Reply to Rene
Posted by: Purple | 2004/10/25

Breastfeeding doesn't have to be so traumatic.

Why not contact a lactation consultant to discuss your fears and concerns, as well as for advice and help on dealing with your inverted nipples. There are things you can wear during pregnancy to draw out your nipples to make latching easier so that you don't have to go through the tears and hassles.

If you do go straight onto the bottle, why not express your colostrum for the first few days so that baby at least gets the benefit of the colostrum. Colostrum is such a vital health boost to a baby that it would be sad for your baby not to get it, even if you do bottle feed.

A lactation consultant can also advise you on methods of drying up your milk. I think that there are herbal products you can use. Also, as breast feeding is supply and demand, it should happen naturally that your milk runs out, though obviously you want to avoid the pain of engorgement.

Reply to Purple