Question
Posted by: Wannaknow | 2004/03/11

Breastcancer risk with family history

Hi. I'm 34 and have 2 children aged 5 and 2. I've been on Minulette for about 10 years in total and now have a Mirena IUS.

I recently learnt from my sister (35) that our dad's family has a history of breast cancer. Almost all of his sisters (they were 11 children) has/had it.

Her gynae recommends an annual mammogram from age 35.

I'm a vegetarian, I don't smoke, excersise regularly and use alcohol in moderation.

The only medication I use is Ciprimal for OCD and Lamictin for Bipolar (that's quite enough, I'd say!)

What is your recommendation?

I would agree with your doctor. In addition, you should check your breasts regularly.

1
Posted by: Lindy | 2004/03/11

My mother in law had breast cancer and so did her grandmother. All the women on her side of the family have been advised to have regular checkups from the age of about 35, including her sisters, daughters and future grand-daughters. as far as her lifestyle goes the only difference is that she is not a vegetarian. She breast fed all of her children which they say helps reduce the risk but still she got it. What I am trying to say is rather be safe than sorry, go for regular checkups, it cant do any harm.

Reply to Lindy