Question
Posted by: MITHRIL | 2004/03/11

BREAST REDUCTION SURGERY

LIKE THE REST I AM COMTEMPLATING THIS OPERATION IN JUNE - JULY 2004. BUT... IS THERE AN ALTERANTIVE? APART FROM THE MASSIVE COST WHICH THE M/A WON'T COVER, I PREFER TO TAKE MORE CONSERVATIVE STEPS TO GOOD HEALTH AND WOULD PREFER NOT TO HAVE TO GO UNDER THE KNIFE.

I AM ON A MASSIVE WEIGHT LOSS PROGRAMME, HAVE LOST 10 KGS ALREADY AND AM NOW ABOUT 10 KGS FROM MY (PERSONAL) IDEAL WEIGHT - DESPITE THIS GOOD WEIGHT LOSS, MY BREASTS ARE A WHOLE 1.5 CM SMALLER IN MY BRA - NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

WHAT CAUSES LARGE BREAST, OTHER THAN WEIGHT GAIN AND PREGNANCY? AND IS THERE SOME WAY OF REVERSING THIS AFFLICTION WITH MEDICATION OR EXERCISES? NO-ONE IN MY FAMILY IS AS GENEROUSLY ENDOWED - DOES THIS MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE?

CAN YOU SUGGEST SOMEONE I CAN SPEAK TO?

REGARDS
MITHRIL

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Mithril,

Genetics probably plays the biggest role in large breasts, and you would have to go back a couple of generations to determine this. Also, one does pick up weight in your breasts, and it is for this reason that medical aids would reject your motivation for a breast reduction. However, once you reach your ideal weight, I would urge your plastic surgeon again to re-motivate to your medical aid, together with supporting photographs. You should take these documents to your medical aid yourself, and insist on an appointment with the medical advisor.

Remember, you are the client of the medical aid, and you have the right to attempt to negotiate with them for certain benefits, which are not normally part of your coverage. Follow this route first.

There is no other method of reducing your breasts, especially if you have tried weight loss and exercise. Those are the two main first steps. If you are then still left with excess skin and breast tissue, surgery is the only option.

Good luck and congratulations with what you've achieved so far with your weight loss program.

2
Posted by: MITHRIL | 2004/03/12

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR ADVICE, I WILL TRY THAT APPROACH. MY M/A IS NOTORIOUS FOR A LACK OF UNDERSTANDING IN MANY AREAS AND THE DOCTORS I HAVE DISCUSSED THIS WITH CRINGE IN HORROR WHEN I MENTION THE NAME!!!

NONETHELESS, YOU MENTIONED EXERCISE - AS I HAVE SEVERAL MONTHS BEFORE THE OPERATION I'D LIKE TO TRY WITH EXERCISE. CAN YOU POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION. MY CURRENT EXERCISE IS AIMED PREDOMINANTLY AT CARDIO-VASCULAR TRAINING WITH A BIT OF CODNITIONING TRAINING IN BETWEEN. WILL THINGS LIKE BENCH PRESSING, FLYS ETC HELP IN REDUCING THE VOLUME? CAN YOU POINT ME IN THE DIRECTION OF A GOOD WORKOUT.

THANKS AGAIN!

Reply to MITHRIL
Posted by: Fens | 2004/03/11

I have abnormally big boobs, I suffer from back ache and waist. I am not comfortable as my shoulders are sagging because of the heavy load of my boobs they carry. I have consulted a plastic surgeon as per my doctor's referral but the medical aid won't pay for the operation. Is there any other way you can help me do the operation at an agreed rate and terms?

Reply to Fens