Question
Posted by: Purple | 2004/10/25

Breast Reduction - Breastfeeding

I am currently breast feeding my 8 1/2 month old baby. (not fully breast feeding, as I have to express lots and use that to top up feed with, as well as give formula to top up at some feeds).

I had a breast reduction from a DD to a B cup 13 years ago.

My question is this:
With the breast feeding, my breasts are now only just slightly smaller than before I had the reduction (I wore a C cup during pregnancy and changed to a D cup after the birth of baby, and I am still wearing a D cup).

When I stop breast feeding (probably around when my baby reaches 1 year), will my breasts return to the B cup that they were after the op, or will they not reduce in size again?

I know that people who havent had breast reduction surgery return to their pre-breast feeding bra size within a few months, but I am just concerned that my breasts won't do this and will remain large, as I know that breast feeding does create some breast tissue (and I have been advised that I might be able to make more milk with a second baby).

Please advise.

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Purple,

It is quite normal for breast to increase substantially in size during breastfeeding. Especially if you produce a lot of milk. Your breasts will become smaller again, and making sure that you return to your old weight before you fell pregnant, as well as specific exercise, will assist in the process.