Question
Posted by: Uncomfortable | 2008/01/23

breast reduction

I am 5 foot 5, weigh 85kgs (overweight) and my bra size is 40D. I am uncomfortable with my big boobs and find that I cannot be without a bra. When I try to be without one, I get a pain across my chest which is more uncomfy than painful. I also suffer from backache.

Will weight loss aid in my breast size getting reduced? If so, will it be by a lot? Will medical aid cover breast reduction since I have this extreme discomfort and back ache?

Dear Uncomfortable
Yes losing weight will reduce your breast size as most of the breast tissue consists of fat cells. Medical aids usually do not pay for breast reduction operations but if your orthopod writes a letter of motivation, may consider this on a one to one patient basis.

4
Posted by: MB | 2008/10/08

I AM TRYING TO FIND OUT HOW SUCCESSFULL BREASTFEEDING IS AFTER ONE HAS HAD A BREAST REDICTION? I HAD A REDUCTIO N IN 1986

Reply to MB
Posted by: sore | 2008/02/26

Please let me know wich medical aids will cover breast reduction.I am a 36 dd,My back aches till I cry.My breasts hangs almost to my navel.Im 22.This makes me depressd

Reply to sore
Posted by: Jilubee | 2008/02/25

i am 21 and my bra size is 36DD. I weighed 72 kg 5 months ago, I have since lost 9kgs and I now weigh 63kg. I lost weight so that I could get my breasts down to a smaller size. But the bad thing is that I lost so much weight but nothing has happened to my breasts, now I look terrible with a small body frame but huge breasts. My back hurts like hell. I take so much meds for my back. I am afraid of having a child. How can I get my medical to pay for a reduction?

Reply to Jilubee
Posted by: Yas | 2008/01/30

Dear Uncomfortable,

Last year I wen to see a plastic surgeon for breast reduction. He was quite positive that medical aid will pay coz we have a family history of breast cancer and I als have these glands that grew under my arm pits due to exessive auxillary breast tissue and also my 1 breast hangs lower than the other by 2-3cm. The dr motivated and medical aid rejected it.

Anyway, I pursued it until I came into contact with the board members for my medical aid, had meetings, was prepared to show them the big difference in my breasts and that my clothes, blouses etc always sits to the left side of my body. They still rejected me saying my if I lost maybe 15kg and maintained it for at least 6 months they may reconsider.

At that time I weighed 79kg and I have always been a D or DD cup. I have gained tremendous amt of weight due to chronic medication. I have tried to shed of those kilos but in vein. I have had 2 kids and my breast size is and E cup now. I hate exercising coz they are in my face all the time. Im afriad I will knock myself over if I run or jump.

Hope this helps and reassures you that you are not alone in this terrible fit to medical aids.

Reply to Yas