Question
Posted by: ICYS | 2004/11/01

Breast Reduction

Dear Doc

I am a size 36 F size breast which weighs me down alot. I am hopefully having them reduced in December. I'll be seeing a plastic surgeon on Thursday and would really like to know whether there is something that I should ask that is normally not thought of????

It is always a worry to know that you are getting a brilliant qualified doctor that hasn't had constant complaints.

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Icys,

The questions you should ask your plastic surgeon include the following:
1. How many breast reduction procedures has he done before?
2. Does he enjoy this kind of procedure, or does he prefer something else.
3. Could you see before and after photographs of previous patients.
4. Could you speak to some of the patients who've had this procedure done before

A very important thing to remember is to trust your "gut feel" - you must like this doctor. It does not help you to choose a "brilliant' doctor, but you do not like him. Having plastic surgery is an incredibly personal experience. Patients are not undergoing surgery as a life-saving or disease-curing procedure. They are choosing surgery to change their lives - very often their psychological well-being as well.