Question
Posted by: Shaz | 2004/01/12

Breast feeding and allergies

Hi, my baby is now almost 6 weeks old - will be on wednesday. I have a terrible skin allergy whereby I come out in these really itchy welts. It is very unpleasant - my feet and hands swell up and my hands, arms, legs, feet and bum have huge raised welts that are terribly itchy on them. My question to you is what can I use in order to continue breastfeeding. I go back to work when he is 11 weeks old and wanted to at least breast feed until about a week before I go back - so for another 5 weeks at least, then I wanted to try and express milk for him. But all my allergy tablets are taboo, as apparently they are excreted in my milk and will either dry up the milk or make him really sleepy. I have been given two different creas mylocort and the generic of anthisan (can't think of the name of the cream), neither of these seem to help, or they do for a really short time and then the allergy comes back even worse. I have had this allergy for about 10 years now and have not been able to find the cause other than to say it is not something I am eating but and external source. Please help!

Furthermore I had a caesar - when can I start exercising?

I'm afraid I can't really help. It sounds like your best bet would be a cream, but if these don't help and the allergy is severe, you should go with your dermatologist's recommendation and stop breastfeeding if necessary.

If you have had your 6 week check-up after the Ceasar and all was well, you can start exercising.