Question
Posted by: Purple | 2003/12/30

Breast Feeding

I posted a question some months ago about the possibility of breast feeding after breast reduction surgery.

I am now 33 weeks pregnant and have started producing colustrum, however, it doesn't appear spontaneously, I have to squeeze it out (though it did appear spontaneously the first time - that's how I noticed it), and there isn't all that much (less than a teaspoon full between the two breasts), though it comes out quite strongly.
Do you think this signals that my breasts seem to be in working order and I have as much chance as anyone else of breast feeding?

I'd really like to breast feed, and recently read that damage caused by the bresat reduction surgery does heal although sometimes one can only feed from one breast or that you might not produce as much milk as other women, especially with a first baby. I had my surgery 12 years ago.

To my understanding, the milk ducts are cut through with a breast reduction operation. It is possible that with more modern techniques, the damage is minimised, but you would have to ask a plastic surgeon about this.

Best wshes