Question
Posted by: HS | 2004/11/10

Breast exercises

Hello,
I really hope you guys can help somehow. I'm 27 and had a child at 21, my breasts are sagging and I really really hate it.
I do not want surbery - it;s expensive and in my opinion very risky. Are there any exercises I could to to imrpove their firmness in ANY way. I really want to try the self-help exercise route, because cosmetic surgery is just a horrible option for me. It's so fake.
Can you suggest anything please?

Hi HS

Unfortunately the breasts are mostly fat tissue, no muscle. That's why it is really very very difficult, even impossible to firm the breasts like you would try to do with the abs, or the legs or arms etc. You can to a limited extent try to strengthen the muscle underneath, which can give a very slightly improved appearance of firmness, but this is a limited method, and really the truth is that exercise for the breasts is not all that successful. That's not great news for you, unfortunately. What does help is to consider the breasts as fat tissue and then to try to use exercise to reduce overall body fat - this may be even more effective than doing specific exercises. Any weight loss, whole body in particular, will cause fat to decrease, and this can affect the breast tissue.

So, this involves regular cardio such as walking, jogging, running, swimming or cycling. In order to burn the fat, you need to do these types of cardiovascular exercises as least 4 - 5 times a week for at least 30 - 45 minutes. This will help to increase the amount of calories that you use and help to decrease your body fat.