Question
Posted by: Elizabeth | 2004/11/19

Breast Augmentation - When to Redo?

Hi, I had a breast augmentation 2 years ago this November. At the time my surgeon did tell me that this is not a "life time" thing but that I would need to have them replaced and the op redone at some point (he mentioned between 6 to 8 years).

When is the best time for me to do this - I know that with age the risk of leakage increases (I have silicone), so how many years do I still have before I must redo the op? And just for the record - my surgeon did an amazing job and I am thrilled with the results!!! Thank you.

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Elizabeth,

The modern trend is to wait until something goes wrong - it is not necessarily needed to redo the operation, and many patients have their implants for up to 15 years before replacing them - this is mostly due to the newer materials being used for implants. I would not worry about a re-do before you feel that something might be wrong.

Nevertheless, I would suggest that you ask your plastic surgeon's opinion six years after the procedure. His opinion and experience with you as a unique individual is more important than this one coming from me - who don't know you personally.