Question
Posted by: CJ | 2007/08/01

Breast augmentation and smoking

Good day

I did not see a plastic surgeon on this site. Please could you let me know, I have spoken to my plastic surgeon about smoking ciggerettes before and after my op but I would like to know, I smoke other stuff at night (please NO critisism) I smoke it because of insomnia and i suffer from terrible back pain.

I will be going for a breast augmentation on 07 Aug, i am not sure if it will effect me in any way with the op.
Is it safe to carry on smoking it or should i stop and how long before the op should i stop.

Please could you let me know urgently.

Hi CJ
I promise I won't preach to you! I am guessing that you are taking marijuana - it won't affect the tissue healing like tobacco smoke but it may suppress immunity somewhat which could increase your risk of post operative infection ( so keep your wounds clean and take it slow after the op) , it may even help with post operative pain and nausea. I think you should try not to smoke within 12 hours before anaesthesia as it may interfere with the anaesthetic drug causing hallucinations or neurological side effects. You can discuss this with the anaesthetist too if he is approachable?