Question
Posted by: Elizabeth | 2006/07/20

Breakfast cereals

Both my husband and I have heart-related problems and my husband is also Type II diabetic. I have recently read that there is a fair amount of hidden fats/sugars, etc. in cereals that appear to be 'healthy choices' e.g. muesli. We currently use Bokomo All Bran and Hi Bulk Bran and I enjoy Crispies and Cornflakes - are the latter two a no-no? All used with fat-free milk. I do enjoy a good muesli for a change as the bran flakes are not the most exciting. Many thanks.

Dear Elizabeth
According to the SA Food Tables, most commercial breakfast cereals like the cornflakes and crispies, the All Bran and Hi Bulk Bran contains very little fat (between 0,2 and 1,1g per 100g). The sugar content is also not excessive, e.g. cornflakes 6.3g/100g and All Bran 10.6 g per 100g, as long as you don't use sugar-coated cereals. Hi-bulk Bran contains more sugar than All Bran flakes, namely 15.9g/100g), probably to make the cereal more palatable (the fat content is low at 1.8g/100g). Muesli products do, however, contain more fat (e.g. 17.4g per 100g) and similar quantities of sugar (11.2g per 100g). So your All Bran and the cornflakes seem to have the lowest fat and added sugar contents. There is no harm in using muesli a few times a week, as long as your daily energy intake is not too high. I believe that there are also muesli products available that have a lower fat content.