Question
Posted by: minime | 2004/11/22

breakfact....When?

i know that they say most successfull slimmers eat breakfast in the morning so my question is when exactly after you wake up do you need to eat....
the reason being is that i work shifts and sometimes i start as early as six in the morning and i only get to have my first meal about 9/10o'clock in the morning...
also i find that if i have breakfast this late that i usually dont get very hungry during the day and can get by on smaller meals during the day but when i eat 1/2 hour after getting up i end up being constantly feeling hungry during the day.
i have a bowl of all bran or oats without sugar and some times a cup of tea.....
why is this so?

secondly... is there a way to control apitite without pills and stuff because i want to cut my portion size to loose weight but when i start to follow a eating plan even with some friut or yogurt as snacks in between i alway feel like eating and constanly think of food or is there a apitite suppressant that is safe to use

Dear Minime
Although it is better to eat breakfast just after waking because your blood sugar will be low after the 12 hour fast during the night, you can certainly eat your main breakfast at 9 or 10 am. I would have a slice of seed bread cheese or a boiled egg before going to work. It could be that eating foods with a higher glycaemic index (GI) like the porridge stimulate insulin release which lowers your blood sugar levels. The seed bread, cheese and egg will keep your blood sugar levels much more constant and should prevent those hunger pangs. I think you need to start eating foods with a low GI. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss' , ‘The right approach' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for an example of a low-fat diet which you can use for weight loss in combination with exercise. Also read the articles on the glycaemic index (GI) for more information about using foods that keep your blood levels constant. I don't think appetite suppressants are the answer.

1
Posted by: Tip | 2004/11/24

Drink a LARGE glass of water (or 2 medium ones) whenever you feel hungry. It really really works!!

Reply to Tip