Question
Posted by: Petro | 2004/11/05

Breading of boa constrictor

I have a 6 year old boa constrictor, male, and want to breed with him. For how long does he need to be with the female? How will I know that they have mated? What is the female's gestation period? Usually how many offspring?
Thank you in advance

Dear Petro
Boa Constrictors give birth to live babies, anywhere from 10 to 45. 25 babies is about average.
The gestation period is very variable, depending on environmental conditions, size of the female and other factors. Gestation has been recorded as between 220 and 285 days, average about 220 days.
There needs to be a SLIGHT drop in temperature over the winter period to condition the snakes to breed. This does not mean hibernating the snakes (which is unnatural and will predispose them to illness), but rather dropping the temperature into the 20's for about 2 months instead of the usual 30 degrees C.
An increase of humidity will also encourage mating behaviour.

As to the rest, boas can be tricky to breed and each pair is different. You may be able to observe mating if you keep a close eye on the pair. I know that with some species of snakes mating often leaves a blob of sticky yellowish residue in the cage. I have never observed this with boas to date.

Should you need more information, there is lots of good info on the internet regarding breeding. Just run a search.
Dr Dorianne Elliott
Bird and Exotic Animal Veterinarian