Posted by: Nicci | 2008/09/23

Hi Doc Im trying to lose weight around my tummy area but I cant live without bread . If I cut to 4 slices of brown bread per day will it b okay ? - 2 slices with salad ( tomato , lettuce , cucumber and onion - no dressing ) with fruit juice for lunch and 2 slices with boiled mixed veggies n a drizzle of olive oil and rooibos tea without sugar for dinner and all bran flakes with low fat milk and apple n pear for snacks . dont you think its too much for somebody who' s trying to lose weight ?should n' t I cut to 2 slices per day in order to lose the tummy ? and the olive oil ??is nt fattening ?

Dear Nicci
Firstly it is impossible to determine in which part of your body you will lose weight when you go on a diet. By reducing your energy intake and increasing your energy output you will lose weight all round, not just on your tummy. Secondly the idea that bread which is a carb (16 kJ per gram) is causing you to have a large tummy, is not based on scientific evidence. If you said that you are going to cut out all the fatty things most people add to bread like butter, margarine, mayonnaise, ham, etc, the I would agree because every gram of fat provides 37 kJ - more than double that of carbs. The diet you describe is not balanced, so click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of a balanced, low-fat diet which you can use. Now to lose weight on the tummy you need to do targeted exercises like sit-ups. Ask Fitness Doc on this Website for targeted exercises for the tummy.