Question
Posted by: The-Don | 2008/05/21

Brazilian jiu-jitsu

Is brazilian jiu-jitsu a good form of self defense?
Will it be effective against somebody who is much bigger and taller than me?
Where can I find training for brazilian jiu-jitsu in gauteng?

Expert ImageSelf defence expert

Hi The-Don

Thank you for your contribution to the Self Defense forum.
Brazilian JiuJitsu(BJJ) is an excellent form of Self Defense and has proven it's effectiveness worldwide in the no rules/Cage Fighting arenas. Yes it will work against a larger opponent as it focuses allot on leverage and positioning. I would encourage you to also seek training in arts such as Muay Thai & Greco Roman Wrestling which will compliment your BJJ and ensure you become a complete fighter. The general term for this is called Mixed Martial Arts (MMA). Here you will find training in BJJ, Muay Thai, Greco Roman Wrestling and various other combative arts combined into effectiveness in the 3 ranges of Unarmed combat i.e. Stand Up, Clinch and ground.

Also take note that the above training will not be sufficient for street Self Defense. It will be sufficient for social violence but not asocial violence when weapons, multiple opponents, variety of environments and your life is at stake. You need to then combine your MMA training with Reality Based kind of training.

Our Organization i.e. CombatCoaching.com can offer you all this. If you want to train BJJ we have our MMA classes. If you want to focus your training on pure Self Defense then we have our Reality Based Personal Protection classes. And then obviously if you combine the two you have a very powerful unique product.

Please email me directly on morne@combatcoaching.com for further assistance. You can also visit our website at www.CombatCoaching.com and check under training groups for a group in your area. We also conduct regular workshops in Gauteng which you can attend. Email me and i will add you to our mailing list which will then notify you of any events in your area.

Kindest Regards
Morne
www.CombatCoaching.com

1
Posted by: anthony | 2008/07/08

would love to start training soon

Reply to anthony