Question
Posted by: Max | 2007/12/19

Braxton Hicks

Morning,

Yesterday morning I experienced some quite severe spasms. I am currently 20 weeks pregnant. The spasms were rather saw and had me bent over double but they only lasted less than a minute and came every few minutes for about 20 to 30 minutes. They seemed pretty regular but since I never knew what was happening, I didn't take notice of the timing. Luckily I had my anomaly scan yesterday and I told the gynae about my experience. He said what i was feeling was Braxton Hicks and although it's early, it's not abnormal. The man isn't very forthcoming with info or very comforting to first time (paranoid) moms-to-be so he didn't say much else, except I must let him know if they become more regular or the intensity increases. Should I have anything to worry about? I haven't felt anything since. For how long should the false contractions last and when should I start to worry?

It is a bit unusual to have Braxton- Hicks contractions so early. However, if they have disappeared and not come back, there should not be any need to worry.