Question
Posted by: MAn | 2006/11/08

Bran

Good day , Doc

I have been diagnosed with IBS and chronic gastrisitis,
The question would be how can I help my digestive system
and live in harmony with my body.I have syptoms of bloatedness,
constipation.I read that people with chronic gastrisitis have no or little symptoms and thats me.No syptoms regarding this only
a nasty taste in my mouth....
IBS - because i am eating accoriding my blood type it is included
that I avaid all wheat products , but should be fulled with unprocessed bran , what kind of products would this be...

Can you give any advice regarding these 2 matters...

Dear Man
I would urge you to consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), because you have two different medical conditions and the dietitian will have to work out a diet for you that balances the needs of these divergent problems. The dietitian will indicate to you what types of foods can increase your dietary fibre intake without aggravating your gastritis. A most important point is stress - both your conditions are linked to stress, so I would recommend that you should learn relaxing techniques, how to do deep breathing exercises and some form of physical exercise which is also relaxing, such as yoga. Going for brisk walks in the fresh air also helps to relieve tension.