Question
Posted by: Help | 2003/01/12

Brain Meningioma

I have had a large Meningioma removed from the left hand side of my brain 2 months ago.
(situated above my ear). I struggled with speech,balance and earache for years until finally i was diagnosed. The operation was very successful, completely benign, and I have returned to life as normal. Although the meningioma was completely removed, why after two months am I still experiencing similar symptoms, although not to such a large degree? I am 38, have four children and am married. I look forward to hearing from you.

Help, I can’t say for sure what the problem is and the best person to ask would be your neurosurgeon. I suppose it might be that the swelling due to the operation hasn’t completely cleared up or that the meningioma caused minor permanent damage. It can of course also be due to damage caused by the operation itself. You will probably have to wait and see how much of it clears up with time (up to 18 months) as I doubt that much can be done about it. Sometime cortisone can help speed up the process, but I think you should see your neurosurgeon about it. Good luck.