Question
Posted by: juan | 2007/04/10

Brain injury

I have recently recieved a massive blow to the back of the head. I recieved state hospital care but was only stiched up by a nurse and told to leave. I am currently suffering from severe head aches and my skull permanently feels like it's going to explode ! I don't know whether this is from my mental state of being but i feel a bit dumber and can't seem to recall alot of events and conversations. I don't really know what to do and can't afford seeing a doctor. I am currently a student and have been studying for 2 years and i can't seem to function as i use to and just can't seem to concentrate. I would really like to know if something could have gone wrong with the normal functioning of my brain. I also seem to be losing my balance alot don't know if that has anything to do with it though...

Dear Juan
PLEASE see your GP as soon as possible or go back to the hospital - one can get a slow bleed inside the head after such a blow called a subdural hematoma - your symptoms need further checking and maybe a brainscan. Tell the doctor what happened and exactly the symptoms as you are experiencing them now. what happens is that there is a blood clot slowly growing ( over weeks ) that start pressing on important brain tissue and nerves - it can really do a lot of damage.

1
Posted by: Kathy | 2007/04/10

I would certainly find a way to see a Doc and soon. The injury you sustained could indeed cause problems with your balance (injury in occipital/back region of head). As far as the cognitive issues, (thinking/short term memory)....they could all be associated with your injury. Normally, if you've had a concussion, they like to keep you for 24 hrs for observation. If the blow was as massive as you stated, I would see a doctor.

Reply to Kathy