Question
Posted by: ASH | 2004/11/11

Brain Death

I read the article on brain death and two things that bother me that I would like to find out:
Can a person still cry when brain dead and is it possible for a person who is declared brain dead to get goose bumps?

Expert ImageArchive

No, when you are brain dead nothing happens any more. Be careful to confuse leakage of body fluids with tears. The "goose bums" may be a post mortem phenomenon as contraction of the small muscles attached to the hair follicles may occur after death. In cases of submersed bodies we call it cutis anserina. It can therefore occur after death.