Question
Posted by: conwayannie | 2008/01/28

Bradycardia with arrhythmia (sp?)

Hi, My heart beat slowed down very suddenly towards the end of alst year. Sometimes it is normal, but mostly it is slow From 50 bpm to 65 bpm This has been combined with arrhythmia and the combination is most debilitating. My cardiologist said he could do nothing for me but I must exercise. Exercise make me feel absolutely ghastly!? What should I be on the lookout for if I do try and go on the treadmil for a bit? I don't want to keel over like I did the other day in Sandton City when I had to rush from one shop to another..... Thanks

Dear conwayannie
It is difficult to answer as I don’t have enough information – do you have an abnormality on the ECG? Why can’t they do anything – it seems contradictory that you need to exercise as unfit people usually have high heart rates?

1
Posted by: Ruby | 2008/01/28

Hey there,
I would try to still see if I cn find the reason for the bradycardia & arrythmia. I also get that, sometims HR as low as 50 and sometimes as high as 160 (or even as high as 228!!). I have been hospitalised once when it went that low (50 after walking fast). The cardiologist that discharged me also just said that my HR did not go below 50, so dont worry about it, BUT for me it is also debilitating. I was also referred to a neurologist who is doing different tests on me to see if he can find the reason for my symptoms (I get dizzyness, feeling faint, muscle pain, shortness of breath and fatigue as well). The last test he did was a polysomnogram, to test for sleep apnea (stop breathing in your sleep). You can have this without knowing about it, but you might experience gasping for air while waking up (and you will probably be tired/sleepy in the day if you have this). Anyway, one of the symptoms of this is: bradycardia, followed by tachycardia = arrythmias. There is also many other things that can cause your symptoms, maybe you can see an internal medicine doctor so that he can help you figure out what is going on :-) Dont give up looking for answers . All the best!!!

Reply to Ruby