Question
Posted by: jaws | 2007/03/13

braces etc

doc - I have overbite +- 5 to 10mm and have been wearing braces since December. I am 46 yrs of age and tired of what I perceive as abnormal. The orthodontist reckons it can take up to 12 months before they can align my jaw and chop of a piece of my chin bone. I am impatient and will be seeing a plastic surgeon on Friday to find out if he is prepared to do this now already. I do not really understand why they could not move my jaws forward already.

Expert ImageProsthodontist

Don’t give up hope. The teeth need to be moved to the correct position prior to the surgery to move the bones (orthognathic surgery). This will optimize your bite for the future. Discuss your concerns with your dental team as well.