Question
Posted by: Sleepless | 2008/05/28

Brace

Thanks Dr for your advice. I have a few more questions please.
The brace [or plate] fits over my lower teeth and over my tongue so it [to me] seems like it stops my tongue from slipping back? Can the tongue slip backwards?
1. Could you please explain what ' sleep apnoea ' actually is. Would this kind of test be covered by Medical Aid?
2. Could this fright at night cause heart fibrillation at all?

Thank you for your help

Thank you for your reply.

Sleep apnoea is when you stop breathing during your sleep and can be caused by a multitude of reasons, especially excessive soft tissue in the soft palet area. It is not a life threatening condition but causes a person to feel tired and exhausted in the morning, due to a lack of oxygen intake while sleeping. The sleep apnoea test will be covered by some medical aids.

Sleep apnoea can cause heart palpitations but not heart fibrillation.

The tongue can fall to the back of the throat and therefore, also cause sleep apnoea.

Kind regards