Question
Posted by: HAPPY | 2004/03/01

BRA OR NOT

Dear Doc

I realise that you recommend that one uses a bra after a breast augmentation. What type of bra, how many hours a day, for how many week/months. What are your reasons for recommending that one wears a bra? Some surgeons say no bra up to 3 months - can that cause havoc?

thanx

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Happy,

I definitely recommend a good supportive sportsbra. This does not have to be worn for 24 hours a day, but only during the day, and especially when you do any type of exercise. Remember, you now have excess breast 'tissue' - even an implant can be considered such. Gravity is working against you - the implant will sag and your skin will stretch in time if you do not wear a supportive bra. This will mean further surgery in future, namely a breast lift.

I certainly do not recommend wearing any bra with a wire support, as this will hurt on the cuts. I recommend the T-shirt type bra, which is soft and comfortable to wear.