Posted by: Frank | 2009/03/09

b/p medication classification iro ED

What are PDE inhibitors like seldenafil and tadalafll use in ED?
same as tablets like MAXIMOR?
What is the actual body reaction on PDE inhibitors/
IS it safe for use with BP medication like norvasc, tenblokka and micardis? Alternative B/P medication necessary in ED case?
perscription -urologist or gp? healthy otherwise 65 years

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImagePharmacist

Sildenavil (Viagra) and Tadafil (Cialis) works by preventing the action of a chemical in the body called phosphodiesterase type 5.

An erection is produced via a complex chain of events, involving signals from the nervous system and the release of chemical messengers within the tissues of the penis. One of these chemical messengers is called cyclic GMP.

Cyclic GMP causes the blood vessels in the penis to widen by relaxing a thin layer of muscle found in the blood vessel walls. This allows more blood to enter the penis, which ultimately results in the penis becoming rigid and erect.

Cyclic GMP is normally broken down by another chemical in the body called phosphodiesterase type 5. Sildenafil works by preventing the action of phosphodiesterase type 5, thus stopping the breakdown of cyclic GMP. This means that the blood vessels are kept dilated for longer, improving blood flow to the penis and maintaining an erection.

As sildenafil enhances the actions of the chemical messengers responsible for producing an erection, it will only work once these messengers are present. This means that sexual stimulation is required for it to produce and maintain an erection.

Maximor does not work in the same way, and is not a prescription drug.

Your doctor will decide if it it is safe to use considering your medical condition. It may dizziness if you are taking some medication for high blood pressure.

Your GP can prescribe it.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.