Question
Posted by: Tinki | 2007/02/28

Boy Cat marking territory

Hi All, I have a young male cat (plus minus 4 months old). He is new to our house and has his own litter box that I have seen him use. Problem is he started marking his territory in my childrens room. Usually on my son's bed, on the curtain and the small rug between my children's beds. It is very messy and smelly (NO 2).
What can I do to make him stop? I do not want to physically punish him but my son does not want to sleep in his bed anymore. The cat does it during the day when we are not at home as well as at night when my boy is in his bed. I have to wash either the bedding or curtains daily. Is there anything I can spray to put the cat off the material? Would a mixture of oils (e.g. Tea Tree ,) stop him. I am desperate, Thanks

There is a substance you can spray on the curtains and bedding. Can you not lock him in the kitchen or scullery with a litter tray when you are not home and at night?

1
Posted by: Kate | 2007/02/28

Hi Tinki.

Firstly get him neutered, it does help.
Secondly there are products you can get from the vet or pet shop like Voetsak and Feliway.
Feliway is excellent but costs an arm and a leg.

Another idea someone posted a while back was to spray the entrance to your son's room (and the curtains etc) with a mix of citronella oil and water daily.

You cannot punish him for doing something that is only natural to him but you can try detering him.

Reply to Kate