Question
Posted by: KAT | 2005/12/14

BOXER LOVER

Our adorable 11 month old boxer loves to nibble our hands. I'ts like an obsession. I have a feeling that the nibbeling process also gives his gums a stimulating massage. Why does he do this and how do I stop him.?

Hi Kat

All dogs will do it if allowed. You should divert him to something that he is allowed to nibble on. It is also a way of getting your full attention, which means he is controlling you. The only way to stop it, is by complete ignore and do not make it available to him. If he nibbles your hands, take them away, fold them under your arms and turn your back on him. NO eye, verbal or physical contact. He will soon learn that in order to keep your attention, he should not nibble your hands. Give him something else to do, ie retrieve and return an article to you.

Candice
Animal Behaviourist

2
Posted by: Carol | 2005/12/15

Im also a boxer fanatic , you have to teach them to use a "soft mouth" my male never learnt ( or at least i didnt teach him) I cant play with him because he hurts me , my bitch however is as gentle as a lamb.

Reply to Carol
Posted by: Acineth | 2005/12/14

He does it because that's what puppies do.
You stop it by squeling every time his teeth touch your skin. Do a search on bite inhibition to find out more.

Reply to Acineth