Question
Posted by: Athenea | 2004/10/15

Bowel surgery due to Endometrioses

I was wondering if there is anyone who has had to have a portion of their bowel removed due to severe Endometrioses?
How did the surgery go? Complications? Did you have to wear a colostomy bag? What could I expect if I do go ahead with the surgery?
A

It depends on what they find intra-operatively but most people do not need a colostomy bag afterwards

1
Posted by: JR | 2004/10/15

Hi Athenea...
Yes... I've had surgery twice relating to endo on the bowel...

First time, about three years ago, I had a full laparotomy, during which my stomach was cut (about a 10cm scar), and the bowel re-sected. You have to stay in hospital for a week to 10 days... and during that time you are on a drip and have a catheter.... then you are off work for about another 2 weeks thereafter.... Not a particularly pleasant op, I experienced a lot of pain, but obviously that depends on the individual....

About 6 months ago, I needed to have a repeat op, as my symptoms had returned, and my gynae wasn't happy for me to have to go through a full laparotomy again, so he searched and found a specialist laprascopic surgeon who could do the surgery laparoscopically... this meant I was only in hospital for 2 days, was able to get up after the op (even though I experienced discomfort).... and the recovery time / pain, was far less. The op was a pleasure in comparison. The problem is, most surgeons aren't happy to operate on the bowel using laparoscopic measures.... and very few do... but, it would definately be worth your while to investigate it.
I hope I've shed a little light for you.... endo isn't pleasant, especially with all the ops and treatments, but you get through it! And I've been living with severe endo for the last 15 years or so.... I've had more laparoscopies than I can count, had "menopause " twice, and I'm only 32! But now after the last op, I'm relatively ENDO FREE!!! What a pleasure!
Take care and investigate all options!!!

Reply to JR