Question
Posted by: CK | 2005/07/07

Bowel Movements

Hi Doc,
I'm sorry for the topic of my question but I'm quite desperate!I live very health, eat well & exercise regularly. I drink liquids throughout the day as well as a tbsp of flax seed oil daily.My problem is that I STILL DON'T have regular bowel movements. This problem leaves me feeling bloated & uncomfortable. Any advice? (Not sure if you're the right expert to ask this? If not, pls can you refer me to another expert? Thanks!)

Dear CK
You may well be suffering from spastic colon or irritable bowel disease (IBS). Two of the most important factors in IBS are a lack of dietary fibre and stress. To increase your dietary fibre intake and obtain tips about this condition, click on ‘Diet', ‘You are what you eat' and "Healthy GI tract'. If you suffer from flatulence and bloating, you will have to experiment with the foods you eat that may cause problems with a spastic colon (raw onions, garlic, cucumber, green peppers, very spicy foods and condiments, gas-cold drinks, fruits that contain pips such as guavas, figs, etc). This is often an individual reaction and you will have to keep a food diary to see what foods cause this problem and then cut them out. Your doctor will also be able to prescribe medicines which can relieve the flatulence such as Bevispas, so chat to your doctor about such medications.
To relieve stress I would recommend that you should learn relaxing techniques, how to do deep breathing exercises and some form of physical exercise which is also relaxing, such as yoga.

4
Posted by: lady | 2005/07/08

try prosit. It is a natural product and +-R54 at pharmacies. It can be quite strong, first use one capsule and see. I used it and can vouch for it. It however gives me a runny stomach sometimes.

Reply to lady
Posted by: me | 2005/07/07

If my system shuts down like that, i soak 2 prunes in apple juice over night, and have them with my breakfast in the morning...

Also instead of coke etc in the evenings i drink cranberry juice, which helps keep me regular.

Reply to me
Posted by: AFB | 2005/07/07

I have found that having some dried prunes from time to time helps to ease the discomfort. I have muesli, oats or pronutro for breakfast and I mix about 30ml of digestive bran with it each morning.

You can also try Natura's natural Bowel Cleanser, or Probiflora capsules.

Reply to AFB
Posted by: Matumelo | 2005/07/07

No bowel movement these days - constipated affects my weight.

Reply to Matumelo