Posted by: Joshua | 2006/11/10

Bottom sugery???


I would just like to find out, If one decides not to have genital reconstructive sugery yet you have top sugery and are put on hormones then what happens with changing rooms for example, are you allowed to go into a male changing room?
Are you allowed to change your name on your ID book if you do not have bottom sugery?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageTransgender advisor

Hi Joshua,

Internationally it is a tendency that the FTM guys are not going for genital reconstructive surgery (or bottom surgery) as they also call it. It is way too risky, in a medical way, VERY costly and in comparison to that the results do not meet satisfactory even half way the expectations.

Yes, you can go into male change rooms, from the moment you feel comfortable in doing so. Use a cubicle. Remember many Bio-males also do as some also prefer more privacy or get "stage fright".

Furthermore you can use certain "devises" which will enable you to, with a little practice, be able to stand while relieving your bladder.

Regarding ID book, without surgery: In writing, yes you can change your gender without having bottom surgery, although it is a bit of a struggle. The Act which was amended to enable that, Act49 of 2003 was in the Government Gazette, which means by rights you should be able to.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.