Question
Posted by: carol | 2007/06/15

Bottle feed sherpai puppy?

Sherpai puppy 10 days old, not drinking on mother - small, the bigger puppies push aside - can I bottle feed ?

Yes you can. Your vet can supply you with Milkopup or similar or a recipe for home made pup milk replacement. You will need to stimulate the belly after each meal to get the pup to pass motions and urine.

2
Posted by: sun | 2007/06/15

Hi Carol, my girl staffie was also 10 days when we had to start feeding her(she has a harelip and cleft gum - not palate fortunately) but she could not latch onto her mom's nipples properly. We got Royal Canine puppy milk powder from the vet and when she was about 3 weeks old started mixing the milk with Eukanuba puppy pellets - warmed the milk and add pellets and mash till soft - she loved it as she could then feed herself. We gave her about 5 - 6 small meals a day- had to get up at night to do a feed too. She is a beautiful girl now - 4 years old - I always thought she would only grow up to be the size of a Jack Russell but she is normal female staffie size and quite muscular. Are you keeping the little one?

Reply to sun
Posted by: WR | 2007/06/15

Yes, why not - just don't take her away from the others - see if she wants to drink every 2 hours - and also take the others to one side and let her suckle on her own - do that as often as you can before you bottle feed. Maybe take her to the Vet jsut to be/ stay on the safe side!?!

Goog luck!

Reply to WR