Posted by: tasha | 2009/04/16

botox or fraxel

Firstly i must comment on your most informative website, i have learnt so much from peoples queries and your replies, so thank you for that.

Secondly what would the the best form of under eye treatment be fraxel or botox, i understand its personal choice but in your opionion what would the better option be.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Tasha, thank you for the question and the compliment it is much appreciated.

The area below the lower eyelid is a difficult area to treat and often requires combination treatments to achieve the best results. The type of treatment is also dependent on the degree of the concern and the main factor or factors responsible for the wrinkle formation.

Three main reasons are usually found:

Skin textural changes (due to sun damage and age): Skin rejuvenation (Fraxel) and/or skin tightening works well to improve texture and increase collagen and/or elastin. One may add glycolic acid peels to further improve the effect.

Fat support loss: The use of fillers to provide support to the skin around the eye and if necessary the central and lateral cheek areas will help to reduce the formation of wrinkles. Furthermore, with today’s finer grade fillers (Juvederm 18HV or Ultra 2, Restylane Fine Lines) one may fill each individual line or wrinkle in the lower lid.

Excessive muscle movement: If no contra indications exist one may consider Botox.

If the resultant wrinkles are due to excessive loss of skin elasticity and underlying ligamentous support one may need to consider surgery.

Occasionally, as mentioned above, one may need a combination of the treatments listed to achieve the best results, so your best approach would be to consult a cosmetic dermatologist or an aesthetic medical practitioner who is experienced in treating this area so that he or she can examine the lower eyelid and advise you on the best treatment option/s.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.