Question
Posted by: curious | 2004/10/15

Botox

I have been told that botox helps with excess sweating. I would like to go for injections. But i would like to know if it is something I have to shop around for? Is it rougly that same price at all plastic surgeons. Are there smaller and higher dosages? How many do i have to have if I want it for my underarm area? Will i feel any discomfort or pain with the injections? Thanks

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Curious,

You would not find huge price differences. There is a very specific dosage which should be used to achieve any effect, and your plastic surgeon will be able to advise you. The procedure is extremely painful, due to the fact that you will be injected in each armpit about 16 to 18 times. We usually do it under a light general anaesthetic or conscious sedation.

Patients experience relieve for about 7 months, after which the procedure has to be repeated. Some medical aids do cover the cost of the procedure.