Question
Posted by: Nicky | 2007/03/18

Bossy overprotective aunt

I am 19 yrs old and stay with my aunt and uncle because financially it works out cheaper. I've only stayed here for 4 month and I hate it, my aunt and uncle are absolutely overprotective and bossy. My aunt will phone my boss regally and ask questions about my work, this is really embarrassing. She wants to be in control of everything I do, who I date and who my friends are. My sister that also stays here is now moving out because she just can't take it. I tried being nice is telling them that this overprotective attitude is really hurting me but then they just get angry.

I have done nothing in my past that will lead them to be like this, I don't misbehave and I’m very mature for my age. Not even my mother was like this and I am a very trustworthy person.

Expert ImageTeen expert

If its not working and after talking to your aunt she refuses to change her approach i suggest you move out, as it is unlikely to change if she cannot see what your needs are and tries to control everything. it is not acceptable for her to be phoning your boss and you may need to ask you boss (if you get on well) to refuse to answer such questions.

if they cant see your point of view then you should think about living somewhere else if thats possible

1
Posted by: cv | 2007/03/18

Your aunt is not overprotective see is plain noisy,tell her to stop doing that, the problem seems, because you stay there and I suppose they support financialy,she thinks she can run your life to.Ask het to stop it,otherwise you have to make a plan to leave and life on your own.Perhaps you and your sister can get a place of your own seeing that you both I suppose work.

Reply to cv