Question
Posted by: Nicole | 2004/10/20

Boss from hell???

2 weeks ago my boss was informed that some work wasnt being done and it was in my section but she did not have confirmation who the real culprit was, but she picked up the fone and decided to ask me about it, there and there without first checking if im the one who wasnt doing her work (Her attitude when she called was trying to accuse me). Then she found out it wasnt me but no apology was given. Then today she called me insisting that i did something when i hadnt done it even when i kept on saying i dont know what she was talking about. Then she found out it was somebody else, i decided to go and have a chat with her. she just said she apologise. I dont think she wants me here, she did not hire me, i was hired by the big boss 5 months ago. I dont think i m welcome here, i got no training or anything and in my first week she made me work until late for her mistake bcos she did not arrange somebody to do some work that needed to be done urgently. Must i start looking for a job? There is actually more. her attitude sucks. I am trying to do my work to the best of my abilities but all she does is critisize.

Shaun's advice sounds spot-on, here, Nicole. There are many very unskilled managers making life miserabble for others. See what your HR dept can suggest, too.

1
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/10/20

Hi Nicole,

There are some bosses that derive pleasure from knowing they control another. I would say do your best to stand up to her. Depending on how you do it, you just may get her respect coz some bosses just take advantage to see how far they can push you.
You have lots of rights that are in your favour as an employee. If you have a union get in touch with your shop-steward. If you have an HR dept., try consult someone from there of the necessary steps to take. Follow you procedures to the tee so they won't be able to point fingers at you. Try even get in touch with nearest Manpower dept. in your town.
Request a transfer if you want/can. Don't allow her to think of yourself as inferior. I'm sure you know your capabilities. Also make certain you have a written job-description.

See, as far as I know, the company has to prove that it has done as much as possible to make your work environment acceptable to a certain standard.

Sometimes people just need to be put in their place, but I'm sure you also realise that some people are just too stubborn to change, so I guess in that case it would be in your best interest to begin job-hunting.
Btw, nothing stops you from job-hunting while you begin taking action too, just make sure "you have your back covered".

Good luck Nicole,
Cheers,
Shaun

Reply to Shaun