Question
Posted by: Dreamer | 2006/10/24

Bored out of my mind!!

Hi Doctor. I wonder if you could help me with my problem. As I'm growing older I am realizing the importance of being something, being somebody in life. It doesn't just help sitting around waiting for something to turn your life around, you have to go out and get it. So I sit with a problem, I know I am capable of studying, I want to be something, but I am such a dreamer, yes I admit it. I have all these ideas but no idea what to do with them. The one moment I want to be a teacher the next I want to be a photographer, the next I want to be a Graphic Designer. But there are too many choices. I just can't make up my mind. I'm a 26 year old female. I studied 6 years ago, but that's got me nowhere. All around me I find people moving overseas to greener pastures. My friends all study. Yes they live in this crap town but once they've qualified, they're probably also going to leave and what am I doing? I'm so scared that I wake up and wipe the cloud away from my eyes and realize I've done nothing with my life. Why is it that other people know what they want out of life? It's so easy for them. I can't find what I'm good at, I haven't found one thing I'm truly passionate about and it's killing me! Everybody I know is doing something they enjoy or are good at. What am I doing, sitting around wondering my life away! Everyone always underestimates me too. They don't ever think I'll accomplish anything. I want to prove them wrong, but wonder if I have it in me. I have no direction. Help!! I do know one thing though, and that is that I love animals and want to work with animals, but then again, animal welfare isn't exactly a well earning job. I need to take care of myself and know I can't get by doing what I love. That is why I am sitting in this dilemma! I look forward to your answer, because I'm going out of my mind.

Maybe see a psychologist for formal testing, of your interests and your aptitudes and abilities, to get realistic suggestions about your options ; then look into what they mean, in terms of what the work entails, and what studies and qualifications are needed beforehand. The psychologist can provide some counselling, too, to help you clarify your thoughts and make better decisions. Sometimes you can choose a field that earns well enought to support yourself, and take on a passion, like animal welfare, as a part-time volunteer.

4
Posted by: kat | 2006/10/25

hi dreamer well reading your post reminds me of the post i posted only last week. holy shit sorry to hear that you are going through this but i have to admit its nice to know im not alone. i sit with the same problem. just want more out of life i guess.

Reply to kat
Posted by: Dreamer | 2006/10/24

Thanks everyone for your replies. Doc, yes, I think that would be a wise decision to go and do those tests to put me in the right direction, although I did one just after I matriculated and the guy said that I should consider teaching, languages, consider becoming a lawyer etc. I went into Travel and Tourism instead, but never used it to further myself in a career. I wasn't interested when I discovered that there's just so much more out there than Travel & Tourism and how do I know that would be the right field. But I'll give it a bash again, who knows, maybe now that I'm older and more mature, it would work.

Chelle, I enjoyed your view of things, I wonder what you do as a profession - because you really know how to put things into perspective and you'd be an excellent phsycologist! You're right, I can't just sit doing nothing, gotta try something to know if that's what I want to do in life. No more thinking, and more doing!!! My new motto!

KL, hehe, I thought I was all alone! Maybe we should get together and start up our own little "animal farm" hehe. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that feels that way. I also think I'm just too darn lazy to get my butt in gear and do something, I drive myself crazy with all these thoughts, I'm completely exhausted by the time I finally figure out a plan of action. Maybe you too should take the other's advise and use it to your benefit. I'm going to try it out. Good luck and thank you!!!

Reply to Dreamer
Posted by: KL | 2006/10/24

Oh my gosh - for a minute I thought that I was reading my own post - only problem is that I didn't post it!!

Dreamer, I feel exactly the same (I'm 29). Every week I have a different 'plan' but I never do something about it. I never went to uni and it really bothers me and I would love to have a qualification but I'm just too lazy to study!

And the animal bit - I love animals too and would love to work with them but I know that I will never earn a decent living. I though about volunteering at an animal shelter or someting but then again I am also too lazy for that!

It's like I want to be someone. I want to change lives and make a difference....but I am just too lazy to do it...but maybe I'm just scared....

Reply to KL
Posted by: Chelle | 2006/10/24

Hi Dreamer

In my experience, dreamers always remain dreamers. We have to reach a stage where we stop dreaming and start doing. Doing something and then changing your mind about it, is better than doing nothing at all. And how will you really know what you want to do, if you don't get out there and try various things.

Many of us are so scared of failing, that we don't even try! It's such a crazy thing, because if we don't try, we don't learn anything new, we don't create opportunities for ourselves and in the end we feel as though we failed anyhow. So, there is no option really, but to get out there and do something!

So, you like animals - there are ways to make money, working with animals. People do it all the time. And maybe at the end of it all, the money becomes less important than the job satisfaction anyhow - but for now, go spend some time at your local vet - see what kind of a day he/ she has.

Go spend some time at the doggy parlour, or the local SPCA - see how other people are making a difference in the lives of animals. Witness it, and explore your options, instead of dreaming about it. That way you also meet people with similar interests and with connections and so much can happen from there!

Best wishes.

Reply to Chelle