Question
Posted by: Nicole | 2004/12/14

Bored at work, want to follow passion

Is it so wrong to want to do what ur heart desirees!!! careerwise. Im 26 and in a 300k package, accountant. Im bored to death, i want to follow my heart and focus on my passions...yes financially i will have to sacrifice but im prepared for it i believe i should focus on what i like and then the money will follow. Am i stupid? Is life all about money? Is somebody out there feeling the same way? I push myself everyday to come to work or maybe i dont like this particular job really i dont know.

It's usually not wrong ( Hannibal Lecter was following his passion to, and it WAS wrong to do so ! ) but it's not always wise. Money doesn't always follow --- many great artists produced magnificent works enormously values many years later, but few made much money during their lifetime. Sometimes one can combine the two --- a great American composer of the last century, Ives, was an insurance salesman through his life, and the major poet T.S. ELiot worked in an office in a very routine profession while writing historically important stuff.
Vocational Psychological testing followed by Counselling might help you to sort out the matches between your interests and your skills, and to help you realistically examine the practicalities of whatever your passion happens to be. The world is full of misguided folks who felt sure they were called to be a model or a singer, without the looks or the skills to have the remotest chance of success.
It's eventually, when you're sufficiently well-informed, a personal choice. Personally, I have often chosen the path that satisfied my interest in challenges, rather than the profitable path. But that's often NOT the best choice for other people

6
Posted by: Viola | 2004/12/14

Twenty years from now you'll be
more disapointed by the thing that you didn't do
than by the ones that you did do.

So throw off the bowlines
Sail away from the safe harbour
Catch the trade winds in your sails
Explore. Dream. Discover
-Mark Twain

Reply to Viola
Posted by: Employer | 2004/12/14

Count yourselves lucky that you have a job never mind such a high paying job. So you made a mistake with your career choice, suck it up and live with it. There are people out there with no jobs and no money.

Reply to Employer
Posted by: Kerry | 2004/12/14

Yes, unfortunately life is all about money. None of us want to exist by scraping through life every month without having extra to buy a little luxury. But at the same time sitting at work and being bored and uninspired is also very depressing. To find a job that we are passionate about (with the right money) very rarely comes around for most of us. To really succeed in whatever you are passionate about will take dedication and hard work. On the other hand, money isn't everything and one also has to do what makes you happy. We spend just about most of our lives at work which is a pretty depressing thought considering most of us don't give a toss about what we do. I really don't have an answer for you but I feel you should do what will make you happy.

Reply to Kerry
Posted by: star | 2004/12/14

Money isnt everything and at the end of the day do you come home feeling good about life or depressed...

jobs are hard to come by so dont do anything in a rush but start looking around if thats what you feel inside bec you basicaly spend most of your life at work!

All the best :)

Reply to star
Posted by: Tiny | 2004/12/14

I m exactly like u, an auditor and bored to death. I sometimes want to run away from work and take a long trip around the world and yet, get money at the same time. But as u know its not possible, so u have to work just to earn a living

Reply to Tiny
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/12/14

Hi Nicole,

Yes there are people like you out there/here... some of us are just more afraid of the risks involved.

Have you considered career advice/counselling? It does work, & also sometimes makes you see opportunities that you may have missed. Personally I feel it's good to follow your passion & do what you love.

Regards,
Shaun

Reply to Shaun