Question
Posted by: BPD | 2007/04/10

Borderline Personality disorder

I have been diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder... I have been suicidal for most of my life, but at this moment I am really in a bad way. When I speak to my husband about how I feel he always revolves everything around him and the kids! I am at a stage of WHAT ABOUT ME! I did not ask for this condition. I have been on medication for the past 6 months pending diagnosis... I know all the relative information about the disorder. What I really want to know is... are there support groups in Cape Town? Is there any "South African" information, statistics, centres or doctors that deal specifically with BPD? This condition is not Bipolar... Need direction.

I'm not aware of such support groups, but call the mental health info centre in the Dept of Psychiatry at Stellenbosch, as they're supposed to be fully up-to-date on this. BPD is much more commonyl diagnosed and thus treated, in the USA< and I find relatively few SA doc's are skilled at diagnosing or treating it. Try the Depts of Psychiatry and Psychology at UCT and Stellenbosh, and see if they may have someone with interest and experience in this field

25
Posted by: Elzaan Veldsman | 2016/08/03

Hi. Due to geographical limitations I started a Whatsapp group. For people with BPD but also for those that has a loved one. It's just a start. To speak to people that understands and to give and get advice. Once we have enough people we can start thinking of starting physical groups. This is not only for Cape Town people. Anyone can join. My number is 0794836753. My email is elzaanveldsman@gmail.com. Let's do this.

Reply to Elzaan Veldsman
Posted by: Peter | 2016/08/01

I am also a husband with a wife with BPD desperately looking for a support group in CT to be able to share my experiences and find a meaningful way to help my wife. Have sent email/SMS to the various contact above and will hope for some positive feedback. Peter

Reply to Peter
Posted by: Sam | 2016/07/04

Hi, Does anyone know of support groups in the DBN area or online ghat groups for people with BPD?

Reply to Sam
Posted by: Anon Mom | 2016/06/05

As a parent with a child with BPD it was quite a relief to read about this illness and to finally know what may be wrong with my child. It is so stressful not to know how to deal with the behaviour that comes with BPD. I found the articles quite helpful and I feel more hopeful about a future. I found these links which may be helpful to others. It would be nice if there was a support group for parents of sufferers of BPD too. http://www.steppsforbpd.com/ http://www.schematherapysouthafrica.co.za/about/ http://outofthefog.website/personality-disorders-1/2015/12/6/borderline-personality-disorder-bpd

Reply to Anon Mom
Posted by: Elzaan Veldsman | 2016/04/26

This is killing me. Look. I know Bipolar is very bad and I'm not making light of it at all. But everywhere you look it's just bipolar bipolar bipolar. Everybody knows what it is. There is groups everywhere. The whole world sympathizes. But ask them what bpd is and they look at you like you lost your mind (no pun intended). WE NEED TO RAISE AWARENESS not only in Cape Town but in South Africa. Please contact me on 0794836753 or elzaan@gmail.com. Also there is a borderline personality disorder support group on Facebook.

Reply to Elzaan Veldsman | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Sam | 2016/07/04

Hi Elzaan, I Have BPD and am looking for any support groups in DBN. My number is 0836545937

Posted by: Support Group | 2016/02/21

I have acknowledged that we have many people in Cape Town that are in need of help with Depression, PTSD, BPD and suicidal etc. Some people out here might want to join me in starting support. Here in Cape Town. Email me on infoforcoaching@gmail.com or 0724493915

Reply to Support Group
Posted by: Karla | 2016/01/06

Hi there, I don't know if this thread is still active, but I wanted to find out who is in need of a support group in the Cape Town area. One of my clients suffers from BPD and is starting a group. Please email me if you are interested - karla@startupautism.com Thank you!

Reply to Karla | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Petra | 2016/06/04

Is the support group still going?

Posted by: FYI | 2015/06/10

At the moment and I might move I am blogging at Tumblr. For anyone interested or just needing to chat. Search Mind whispers. It's on raising a BPD child and my experiences however married to one is just as challenging and we all need q place to chat

Reply to FYI | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: MARK | 2016/02/11

hi there Im trying to start a support group for BPD sufferers and partners. If you are interested in this -please contact me on 082 0767058 regards MARK

Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/05/21

We sit with the same problems in Gauteng. No where just to chat as a group. I am raising a BPD it's been a tough long road with no where to vent and get advice and support. It's almost as if this disorder is a very neglected with only online advice. I recently started a blog but it's not in a place to chat to parents. It's frustrating and I am now studying psychology in order to one day make a difference in this void.

Reply to Anonymous | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/08/12

I also have a teenager with suspected bpd. have you at least got a psychiatrist / psychologist experienced with bpd? I am from Limpopo and am not really getting anywhere!!! Meanwhile my child gets worse

Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/02/08

There is a therapist by the name of Jonathan Mitchell based in Constantia who specialises in DBT (Dialectical Behaviour Therapy) proved to be very successful with those who have BPD traits. I believe he also offers group sessions but you will need to check where and when.

Reply to Anonymous | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/05/03

please advise regarding sessions and group sessions, the charge and if Medical Aid covers it please?

Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/11/01

Someone I care about very much is suffering severely from this condition ( bpd). She has no access to expensive therapy and is clearly in need of assistance. As difficult as it is for her to acknowledge her condition she has expressed an interest in group therapy. She believes sharing her experience with similar sufferers under the guidance of a trained professional could be helpful. This is a huge and scarey step for her and it is alarming to me that there appears to be no such group currently running in Cape Town. Could anyone assist with any information they may have in this regard. Thank you Kevin@kevingadd.co.za

Posted by: Nix | 2014/08/10

I see this thread was started in 2007, please tell me that something has come of it since then. What a pity that in SA there is so little support for mental illness, specifically BPD, which many people know nothing about. There are a few depression support groups to my knowledge but I have yet to come across one specifically for BPD. According to research I've done online, DBT and CBT are crucial forms of therapy.... However if you are not on medical aid, what are your options? Please help....

Reply to Nix | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: MARK | 2016/02/11

Today at 2:41 PM HI NIX I read your blog on the internet and as a husband, married to a woman with severe BPD - Im trying to start a support group for sufferers and their partners in Cape Town. Should you be interested in this - please make contact with me on 082 0767 058. Regards MARK

Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/03/07

Was the support group ever started? I am needing some support myself

Reply to Anonymous | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: MARK | 2016/02/11

Today at 2:41 PM HI THERE I read your blog on the internet and as a husband, married to a woman with severe BPD - Im trying to start a support group for sufferers and their partners in Cape Town. Should you be interested in this - please make contact with me on 082 0767 058. Regards MARK

Posted by: MARK | 2013/12/07

I am the husband of a severe BPD and know what these people go through. I live in CAPE TOWN AND AM VERY INTERESTED IN STARTING A SUPPORT GROUP FOR BPD SUFFERES.(and partners) This could be a national thing or just restricted to Cape Town but Im not sure how one would advertise and make people aware of such a group. Any Ideas ??? i can be contacted on 082 0767 058 thanks mark

Reply to MARK | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Gaenor | 2014/01/15

Hi Mark. Were you able to start a support group as I would be quite keen to join.

Posted by: BPD | 2007/04/10

I have spoken to the D & A helpline and life line. I will check out the other sites.

Thank you so much for getting back to me and I will let you know how it goes.

Reply to BPD
Posted by: anon | 2007/04/10

Why not call the Depression & Anxiety Helpline, tel no above perhaps they would know of any support groups in Cape Town.

Famsa and Lifeline would be another option, they have wonderful refs in files of support groups etc.

www dot psychotherapy dot co dot za

Psychological Socity of SA www dot psyssa dot com

Reply to anon | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Joel | 2015/04/25

Someone I care about very much is suffering severely from Borderline Personality Disorder. She has no access to expensive therapy and is clearly in need of assistance. As difficult as it is for her to acknowledge her condition she has expressed an interest in group therapy. She believes sharing her experience with similar sufferers under the guidance of a trained professional could be helpful. This is a huge and scary step for her and it is alarming to me that there appears to be no such group currently running in Cape Town. Could anyone assist with any information they may have in this regard. I would be very grateful for any direction and assistance, Thanking you' Joel 0825499285