Posted by: B | 2004/10/18

Borderline Personality Disorder

Dear CyberShrink

I took a major overdose a month ago (my flatmate found me and took me to hospital) and I spent 2 weeks in hospital with severe depression. My Psychiatrist has put me on Lilly Fluoxetine, Fluanxol (and Rivotril at night).

I know I'm not bipolar because I never have the "highs" they speak of. On a happiness scale, I swing from below average to so down I wish I was dead.

I've since read a few articles on Borderline Persoanlity Disorder and in the new Fairlady Magazine (October issue) there's a "test" and of the 8 options, I'm all of them!!

Irrational behaviour, becoming irritable quickly with extreme feelings of anxiety, intense outbursts of anger with a total lack of control over my temper, I have a major problem with my self image (no self confidence), I have a pattern of unstable and intense and volatile relationships, I've thought about committing suicide for years now and finally tried (seriously!!) a month ago. And last but not least I have a constant feeling of emptiness. A hole that can't be filled and I'm convinced no-one loves me and everyone is out to get me.

Please could you tell me what to do, where to find more information on this on the internet. And is there any medication that could help???

I'm really desperate!

Many thanks!

Kind regards,

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

Hello B,
Check the archive of this forum, as we've discussed Borderline issues several times, and you may find those discussions useful, too. I wouldn't make any assumptions about yourself on the basis of any magazine "test".
The only proper way to make a reliable diagnosis, is for a properly trained shrink to examine and assess you, and form a proper diagnosis, as I presume happened after your admission. So your psychiatrist will have made a competent diagnosis, and should have discussed it with you.
Borderline Personality Disorder BPD isnt so often diagnosed in SA, as it's been mainly an American concept, but you could usefully discuss this with your psychiatrist. There are no specific different drugs used to treat it ( or any other personality disorder ) but antidepressants, etc., would be used for the depression, and your treatment sounds very reasonable, taking that possible diagnosis into account. For further info, check out the Mind section here on Health24, and also try a search on www. google. com.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: B | 2004/10/19

Dear Shaun

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my mail. I really appreciate it.

I've had a really crap year. My Dad passed away on the 10th of May and then my Mom on the 27th of June. Then in July a Chiropractor punctured my lung through dry needling and I spent 2 weeks in hospital recovering with a drain in my lung. It's no wonder I'm feeling overly down about life... hence the final decision to overdose.

I have ok days and the really bad days. But I'm seeing my psychiatrist again this Thursday so I'll see what he says.

Thanks again for taking the time to write.

Kindest regards

Reply to B
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/10/18

Hi B,

You could find info right here on H24, just go to the top & look for the section "mind".
You could get more info from your doc.
You could even get more info at your local library.
Oh, & yes, there is medication that can help you too.

B, even though I am impressed over your need to know so much about your condition, I would like to make a suggestion...
Do you not feel that maybe you have not done very well at trying to diagnose & take care of yourself. Maybe it's time that you put your trust in the right professional to give you the correct guidance & assistance you require.

I'm am sure CS will give you a more direct approach, & I'd like to add that you must realise that it took you a while get to where you are right now, so be patient, hones & open, & seek out the professional help you need.

You can do anything you want!!! But you must first want!!!

Take care B,

Reply to Shaun

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.