Question
Posted by: Frusty | 2005/11/30

Books??

On a roll here. What kind of books do you like reading. I enjoy whodunits and all historical and nature books. And of course, my arty farty books.

Aaah, don't get me going. My parents always threatened to arrange for me to be buried in a papier-mache coffin, so I'd have something to read even then. Biographies and history, as they allow me to delve into curious people I never hadthe chance to see as patients !

13
Posted by: ... | 2005/12/01

love Virginia Andrews too.... I haven't read anything of hers lately..... sigh.... haven't read any novels lately.... i can't read anything at the moment with all this energy..... i'll get back to normal soon though..... .. From your posts i think you will love angela's ashes.... it's a true story...and won a pulitzer prize.

Reply to ...
Posted by: Buzz | 2005/12/01

Tango, I was the author!!! LOL...

Reply to Buzz
Posted by: twink | 2005/12/01

i'm also a sucker for whodunits and murder mysteries. but every now and again i enjoy the odd romantic comedy, suppose that's just my soppy side coming out. has anyone ever read "good in bed"? Can't remember who its by. one of the best books i've ever read. funny, sad, sexy.... sigh.... story of my life.

also love james patterson's books.

Reply to twink
Posted by: Jakes | 2005/12/01

Moved house a year ago - after getting rid of +- half the books still had 55 boxes filled with anything from National Geographic (since 1966) to Readers Digest, Danielle S, Sydney S, Michener, Jonathan Black and lots of Law books and biographies

Reply to Jakes
Posted by: Buzz | 2005/12/01

... I need to get that book then. I'm not an expert by any means, I just have a love for reading, and it so relaxes me. Speed reading? I think I'm too "dof" for that!!!

I spoilt myelf rotten on Tuesday, bought three books at Fascination Books. But I need easy reading for the holidays!!! I bought the latest by Jackie Collins and Virginia Andrews (shivers), and another by Dr Demartini.

Tango, I agree with you. Paul Coelho's books are fantastic, I've never read any Clarissa Pinkola Estes' books, and Kahlil Gibran - awesome.

Reply to Buzz
Posted by: KD | 2005/12/01

I enjoy books by Danielle Steele(drama;romance); Robin Cook(medical Mysteries). Shidney Sheldon and Nicholas Sparks(suspense).

Reply to KD
Posted by: Tango | 2005/11/30

Normally philosophical type books like Clarissa Pinkola Estes and Paul Coeleho (sp). Deep things - also the works and writings of Kahlil Gibran. Love books that get me thinking!

Reply to Tango
Posted by: ... | 2005/11/30

Buzz... I'm a bookworm too... but i feel like my reading habits are on hold these days..... I'm no literary expert and read just about anything... i also do a lot of "speed" reading.... kind of skim some books reading the best parts... don't know why though... s'pose i am impatient :)..... one book i really loved and think it will remain my all time favourite is Angela's Ashes by Frank Mc Court... I have read it a few times... from cover to cover... no speed reading that one! ... at any given time I have three to four books next to my bed... at the moment there isn't one novel though... roll on holidays!!............

Reply to ...
Posted by: Buzz | 2005/11/30

Not sure if many of the English have bumper stickers on their cars, but at one stage, it used to be the hip thing in SA. Remember the sticker "so many girls, so little time"? Hubby had a plaque made for me, it says " so many books, so little time". He promised to put it on my tomb one day!!! I know this sounds dramatic, but I fear dying before having read all the books on my list.

I know the torch story, although I would never have tried it. My mother was "bedonnerd" and I wouldn't want to be caught by her!!! It must give you such a thrill to walk in to your garage, and smell all those old books. Hhmm.

Have a great evening Frusty, speak to you in the morning!

Reply to Buzz
Posted by: Frusty | 2005/11/30

Buzz, you are a woman after my own heart. I had to get someone in to put some book shelves up to take all the books. I still have loads stored in the garage!

My mother used to battle to get me to sleep. You know the torch under the blanket story? That was me.

Reply to Frusty
Posted by: Buzz | 2005/11/30

I used to go to our local library, but remember Frusty, this is Africa, not the UK... One of my favourite pastimes, is going to the secondhand bookstore, I literally spend hours there. The books are in good nick and much cheaper than Exclusive Books etc.

When I was younger, I used to get styes (Sp) in my eyes all the time. My mother always said it was from too much reading. Even that didn't stop me.

Reply to Buzz
Posted by: Frusty | 2005/11/30

Another bookworm? Hello! It is actually bad when all the librarians know you by your first name! That's me.

Reply to Frusty
Posted by: Buzz | 2005/11/30

Frusty, my husband calls me a book-slut (in a nice way). I read almost anything I can lay my eyes on. If I had to choose, it would be biographies.

Reply to Buzz