Question
Posted by: Jurie | 2003/12/30

Bone spur in knee

I recently found out that I have a bone spur in my knee. I did get some physio and it seemed to work. All I want to know is whether it is save to run with a bone spur or not? I've just started out running again after a long lay-off. After the first run, I could feel some pain in my knee. Also, is there any home therapy I can do to make my knee feel better?

HI jurie

This would depend on the situation. In many cases, it will be possible, and the only way to really know this is based on pain. In your case, you do mention that there has been some pain, and so my first thought is that you need to be very careful. Of course, after going for physio which helped, there's no guarantee that the knee pain now is a new problem, and only another diagnosis could confirm this. however, it's something that you would have to discuss with the physio who has a more detailed knowledge of the injury and your initial complaint. Perhaps a sports medical physician would be able to give more focussed advice. I would be reckless if I said that you could or could not run, not knowing anything about the situation. T herefore, I think you need to go back to the physio, and to say that you want very badly to run again, but that knee pain is preventing this, and you would like to see about a solution